Professional Networking Tips for Students
You hear about the importance of networking but how exactly do you do it? The truth, get out there! There are multiple avenues a student can take to get in front of industry professional, and here are 7 of them.
- University careers sites. Universities spend a considerable amount of money and effort to ensure their students are employable when they graduate. As a result, they host multiple mixers, careers fairs and expos and have industry representatives come and speak with students.
- Join Meetup. There are groups for just about anything, ranging from professional groups to social hangouts.
- Professional Industry Bodies. Joining a professional association such as the Physics Society or The Geological Society is a fantastic way of meeting professionals in your chosen field. As students, you’ll be given considerable discounts to membership, and in many cases with all the benefits of full members. These groups/Bodies, host many events throughout the year where you’ll get ample chances to have a chat with a professional already in the field.
- Be part of Hackathons! What better way to immerse yourself in work you love to do and mingle with industry. Go to Hackathons Australia for a huge list.
- Create a social media presence, but remember, what you say online will forever be recorded, so your ‘voice’ needs to be professional at all times. So, get tweeting and be heard!
- Get an Internship or career relevant part time job. What better way to be seen and heard than to be in amongst professionals at work. Internships and part time jobs, that are career relevant, are a fantastic way to be noticed, and you gain valuable experience which is highly regarded upon graduation.
- Create a Skillpig profile. Create a professional profile and outline your experience, qualifications and what you’re looking for.
So there you have it, just a few ideas, and if you’re willing to get out there, you’ll be amazed at how many contacts you start to accumulate.