- To investigate piggery waste and measure lagoon biogas volumes, for Rivalea piggeries in Corowa NSW and Huntly Vic, using historical data.
- To review waste water treatment processes and assess the potential energy created by production of methane gas and greenhouse gas balance using historical data (2012-2018) such as flow rate, BOD, COD, VFA, pH EC, total solids, rate of conversion of sludge to biogas, rate of replication of biogas bacteria, efficiency of biological processes.
The report generated from this study will make recommendations for:
- A business case to capture biogas and generate electricity at the Huntly piggery.
- Improving greenhouse gas emissions to facilitate a sustainable development of energy supply.
- Biogas data fluxes measured over a period of 6-12 months from a 41 ML anaerobic lagoon that received waste from a head swine finishing operation.
- Feed type, quality and quantity and animal weights and gains to determine the carbon budget of the facility.
- The influence of temperature on biogas production – summer vs winter biogas production data.
|Deliverable||Description||Initial Timing Estimate|
|Project plan||Project Plan- statement of the problem|
|Milestone 1||Literature review and best practice, data collection|
|Milestone 2||Methodology, collection of data & analysis, data visualization and data processing; including flow rate, BOD, COD, VFA, pH EC, total solids.· Assess data on biogas production taking account of the Influence of temperature – summer vs winter.
· Assess data on feed type, quality and quantity and animal weights and gains to determine the carbon budget of the facility
|Milestone 3||Draft findings- report back to client and feedback.|
|Draft project report||Draft project report|
|Project report||Project report.|
|Presentation||Final presentation on the project with accompanying presentation materials.|
- Environmental engineering/sustainable system students
- Chemical engineering students
- Mathematics analytic/data science students.
- Before applying please ensure you review and approve the opportunity with your respective program coordinator.
- For additional information please go to https://sites.rmit.edu.au/gsp/