This internship is for a 3 months period between November 2018 & February 2019.
The Australian Branch in Sydney is responsible for underwriting and pricing of Non-Life reinsurance contracts for our clients in Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands. We provide underwriting and actuarial services to our clients.
This internship in the Australian Branch will give you the opportunity to be involved across various aspects of the business and you will be involved in various internal projects with a focus on data collection, market research and analysis. At Scor, you will have the opportunity to:
- develop your applied analytical skills in a global and professional environment
- receive training in technical and professional skills
- work independently as well as in a team
- get involved in projects and have contact with clients from the beginning of your career
Key duties and responsibilities
The Intern will have the opportunity to work with both underwriters and actuaries at SCOR Global P&C and will support the following activities and projects:
- Support the 1/1 reinsurance treaty renewal (actuarial pricing and underwriting analysis)
- Support the local branch in portfolio management and monitoring
- Catastrophe modelling projects: support the validation of new vendor models and the development of our own models
- Independent projects:
- CTP market studies with a strong focus on Probable Maximum Loss scenarios and benchmarking against other regions
- Collect, analyse and disseminate industry statistics for various classes of business (including research on incidents and large claims)
- Establish and analyse risk and event accumulation scenarios across various lines of business
- Benchmarking of internal experience and exposure curves across various markets
- Produce a Cyber market overview including information on market penetration, current trends, recent developments and available coverage
- Summary of the possible implications of Royal Commission to the insurance and reinsurance market
Required experience & competencies
- Previous working experience or internship in a similar environment is not required but will be advantageous
- Strong mathematical and analytic skills
- Previous work on similar analytical university/work projects
- Experience in research
- Strong attention to detail
- Motivated and optimistic
- Creative and dynamic
- Strong communication skills
- Team player
- Microsoft Office
- Students in their penultimate year currently studying an actuarial science or related degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
SCOR is the 4th largest Reinsurance Company worldwide, following a profit-driven underwriting policy and practising selectively across all branches of reinsurance. Our specialist teams operate in over 120 countries, developing value added and innovative products and services and making long-term commitments to their clients, namely insurers and large corporations.
The Group’s strategy is based on a development model driven by three entities: SCOR Global P&C (Property and Casualty reinsurance), SCOR Global Life (Life reinsurance), and SCOR Global Investments (asset management).