The World is Our Laboratory: No matter where discovery takes place, IBM researchers push the boundaries of science, technology and business to make the world work better. IBM Research is a global community of forward-thinkers working towards a common goal: progress.
IBM Research – Australia is a vibrant community within IBM Research. The lab is primarily an industry solutions lab that focuses on conceiving, designing and building next generation systems that will transform healthcare and life sciences, resource management, emergency management and financial services. IBM research is building the next generation cognitive assistant with advanced multi-media capability for early detection and management of diseases that can affect both the eyes and overall health of a person. We are building the image-guided informatics system that acts as a filter to extract the essential clinical information ophthalmologists need to know about a patient for diagnosis and treatment planning. This filtering employs sophisticated medical image processing, pattern recognition and machine learning techniques guided by advanced clinical knowledge. It also utilizes feature extraction and cognitive methods to automatically segment pathologies, classify image content and retrieve similar patient cases based on image features.
Currently we are looking for interns to start mid 2019 in a part time basis. The internship will involve analysis of the retinal image data (fundus, OCT, etc.), providing clinical knowledge and generation of novel ideas and insights for cognition on this type of data. The candidate will be required to build a clinical database of retinal disease, disseminate knowledge, contribute to patent ideas and publications, and help senior physicians participate in building the image representation database. The candidate will be required to create annotations and meta-data to facilitate training and validation of the algorithms. As interns, the candidate will be part of a research team and supervised by a research staff member.
- Candidate should have a relevant track record of education and creative research with a deep knowledge in medicine.
- The candidate will ideally be in the later stages of a Medicine degree with experience in clinical aspect of eye and retina. Background in computer science and ophthalmology imaging is an advantage.
To be eligible to apply:
- You will be an Australian/ New Zealand Citizen or Permanent resident or have the right to work full time for 3 months
- You will be enrolled in a relevant degree at a University in Australia (Undergrad/Master’s/Postgrad level)
- You will be a strong academic performer with a minimum of a distinction average
- You will have no more than 2 years full-time relevant work experience
- Upload your CV, cover letter, academic transcript and your Right to Work document (AU/NZ passport, citizenship/birth certificate and photo identification)
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.